As parents of two kids, we don’t get out by ourselves all that often. But when we do we like to mix it up and do something interesting each time.
We have a general rule that we don’t do movies on Date Night. We feel the purpose of Date Night is really to reconnect with each other and talk like grown ups. Going to a movie and sitting in a dark theater not talking to each other defeats that purpose (not to mention how expensive it becomes to pay a sitter for the 3+ hours it takes to see a movie these days).
So I’ve been compiling a list of interesting date-night ideas here in the Burgh that aren’t your standard “dinner and a movie”. Enjoy! And let me know if you have more suggestions!
- Challenge yourselves to some rock climbing at The Climbing Wall
- Try your hand at mini golf (our favorite is Kniess‘ on Babcock Blvd.)
- Go bowling! There are lots of great bowling alleys in the region
- Watch the sunset over the Mount Washington at the West End Overlook
- Get brave and try a ropes course at Go Ape North Park
- Take a couples cooking class at Crate or Gaynors School of Cooking
- Visit a dueling piano bar (Sing Sing or Howl at the Moon)
- Take a moonlit horseback ride followed by dinner at Rolling Hills Ranch
- Try a new brew at one of the area brew pubs (our favorites are Grist House, Brew Gentlemen and Voodoo)
- Take in a comedy show at the Improv
- Be a kid again and play some games at Dave & Busters, Games ‘n At or Pennsylvania Coin Operated Hall of Fame
- Take a salsa dance lesson at Los Sabrosos
- Board the Gateway Clipper dinner or sightseeing cruise
- Try your luck at the Rivers Casino
- Take a food tour with ‘Burgh Bits & Bites
- Go paint a piece of pottery together at Color Me Mine or Katie’s Clay Studio
- Take a glass blowing class at the Pittsburgh Glass Center
- Share a glass or a bottle of wine and some music at La Casa Narcisi winery on Route 910
- Try your hand at kayaking or rent a bike for a nice ride along the riverfront trail
- Enjoy some drinks on a great rooftop patio like the ones at Il Tetto, Biergarten, and Six Penn Kitchen
- Be a tourist and take a Segway tour of the city
- Take a walk or bike ride on one of our great trails. Our favorite is the Three Rivers Heritage Trail
- Test out your creative problem solving skills with the Great Puzzle Pursuit or Escape Room
So next time, rather than stroll around WalMart (we’ve all done it) on a Date Night, try something new. Anyone have any other suggestions to add? I’ll keep updating the list and we can come back here when we’re in need of some inspiration!